BMM – August 2017

Board of Directors Meeting

Minutes – August 16, 2017– Tap House – Rob Schaff

Mike Null

Rob Schaff

Jim Buford

Kolby Armbruster

Dan Randant

Tim Roethler

Khris Rickman

Rob Kick

Mike Smith

Tim Doll – Website

Dave Pini

Justen Patterson

Tim Schwierjohn

Ron Exler

Chuck Gast – DO


Presidents Report [Mike Null]

No report

Approval of Minutes from July 12, 2017 Motion by Tim Roethler Second by Justen Patterson

Treasurer’s Report [Jim Buford]

Current balance with US Bank is $64,879.20


Education [Tim Schwierjohn / Justen Patterson/ Dave Pini]

Bowling event all set for August 25th. Chuck to confirm event with Saratoga Lanes and request RSVP from members. Pizza will be on the menu for the night.

Speakers on the docket for Shop Tour 2017 at Boone Valley include:

Curt Rohe – USGA Rules changes for 2018

Dan Earlywine

Lee Miller

Xi Xiong

John Daniels? Committee to confirm if Daniels will be at MoGIC

Committee would like possibly 2 more speakers scheduled for ST 2017. Need to apply for CEU’s through the GCSAA.

September event – MVGCSA Championship – set for the 25th at Franklin County CC. Gast to get with Franklin Co staff and secure details.

Research [Rob Schaff / Rob Kick]

Schaff reported that the GC 17 tee prize drink glasses have arrived. Cost at $16.60 per player. Ordered in 115 sets. Glasses etched with Algonquin/Green Cup logo.

Max players at GC event is set at 120. Cart fee at event will be $22. As in past years, top 2 places in each of 3 flights will be awarded. Some Affiliates will be bringing gift cards as additional prizes.

Rumored that Forest Hills will host Green Cup 2018 on October 8th.

In regards to research, Xi has requested that MVGCSA assist with sedge project and is looking for clubs that will provide on-site test plots.

Scholarships 2017 – 3 Turf applications and 8 Legacy applications received. Committee recommended 2 Turf awards – 1 @ $1000 and 1 @ $500 along with 4 Legacy awards at $1,000 each. Total $5,500 in scholarships for the Fall 2017 school year. Gast to follow up with letters to each applicant. Formal certificate awards to be presented at the Annual meeting in November.

Membership [Khris Rickman]

(6) new members for approval;

Nathan Lykkegaard – Aff Midwest Premier Turf
Andrew Long – ET – OWCC
Steve Wright – ET – Norwood Hills
Andrew Snider – C – Norwood Hills
Nick White – C – Bellerive
Matthew Lennon – C – Bellerive

Membership Outreach [Jim Buford]

No report

Ethics/Bylaws [Tim Roethler]

No report

Director of Operations [Chuck Gast]

Reviewed financial statement from July.

MVGCSA annual dues – approx. 80% have been received to date. Deadline sept 1st.

Discussed SIGCSA offer to assist with research dollars to U of M.

Discussed potential equipment needs at U of M. Kick to check w Xi and Lee for priority list.

Discussed MV offering MV logo shirts from Nadine. Nadine is in favor. She will set up pay process through her company. We will feature clothing options and provide link to order through Nadine’s business. Gast to be sure Nadine’s company becomes MV member and will check with tax advisor about potential tax issues.

Discussed idea’s to better recognize MVGCSA platinum level sponsors. Platinum’s only on banner 2018? Produce 2 separate banners? Wall calendar with platinum level sponsors displayed? Platinum level sponsors on ST 17 program cover? To be further discussed.

Assistant Liaison’s [Mike Smith / Kolby Armbruster]

Round table discussion set for Sept 14 at 1 PM at Helen Fitzgeralds.

Affiliate Liaison’s [Ron Exler / Dan Randant]

No report


Motion to allow scholarship committee to award $5,500 to 2017 scholarship applicants. Motion made by Rob Kick and second by Khris Rickman. Motion passed.

Discussed website homepage updates. Possibly include an “about us” section and an updated mission statement.

Discussed BOD succession plan for Nov 2017 elections. Null to appoint nominating comm.


None discussed

NEXT BOD MEETING – Wednesday, September 13, 2017 – Host Justen Patterson

MOTION TO ADJOURN Motion by Rob Schaff Second by Rob Kick