BMM – August 2019

MVGCSA

Board of Directors Meeting

Minutes – August 14, 2019

 

 

Rob Schaff                                         Khris Rickman                                   Rob Kick

John Briggs                                        Dave Pini                                           Justen Patterson (A)

Chris Finnerty                                               Nick Hittler                                        Matt Czarnecki

Doug Harskamp                               Adam Lewis (A)                                Eric Parker

Mike Null                                          Tim Doll – Website (A)                   Chuck Gast – DO

Roethler (A)/Buford – Hist             Carter DeMay – Ch Del                    Steve Wright – ET (A)

Guests:

Rhett Evans – GCSA                           Ryan Madden – Supreme                Rich Carlson – GrnsPro

Paul Hurst – GreensPro                   Mike Carron- Meadowbrook

 

President’s Report [Rob Schaff]

Rob thanked all guests that are in attendance for this BOD meeting.

 

Approval of Minutes from                              Motion by:                              Seconded by:

July 10, 2019                                      Rob Kick                                 Mike Null

 

Treasurer’s Report   [Rob Kick]

Current balance reported at US Bank: $69,000.99

Reviewed profit/loss statement for July and noted that budget figures for 2019 remain on track.

Rounds for Research – net $272 for 2019. Need to step this up if possible.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Special report from Ryan Madden – discussed upcoming Dave Shields benefit golf tournament in Mt. Vernon scheduled on Monday, October 21st. Proceeds to benefit a nursing scholarship. Board to decide MVGCSA involvement in this event. Tabled until Sept BOD meeting.

Education [Carter DeMay/Chris Finnerty]

The August Co-Ed event at the Top Golf facility in Chesterfield is all set. Approx. 46 signed up.

Research [Dave Pini/Matt Czarnecki]

A survey has been distributed via email to all MV members in regards to topics for upcoming MoGIC and the shop tour. Results to be discussed at a future BOD meeting.

Dave to contact Lee at Mizzou to determine potential project target list for future research at Mizzou.

Paul Hurst noted a rather poor turnout at the recent Mizzou field day July 31st. Potential reason; timing during the heat of the year. He noted excellent turf info brought forth that day. May need to assign a few Board members to attend this bi-annual event. Rob Kick suggested a round table discussion at the next shop tour to discuss attendance issues at Mizzou field days.

Matt Czarnecki will contact GCSAA to determine educational points for the shop tour 2019/20.

Membership [Khris Rickman/John Briggs]

(4) new member applications submitted; all passed!

Adam Way C – Fox Run GC
Eric Hungate AF – Salsco, Inc
Ted Ballman C – The Falls GC
Harley Nolan C – The Falls GC

Membership Outreach [John Briggs]

No report

Ethics/Bylaws [Mike Null]

No report

Director of Operations [Chuck Gast]

Reported that MV has donated $300 to the Joe Hough benefit golf tournament scheduled for August 25th. This reserves a team spot for MV should someone want to play. Tammy Hough, sister in law of Joe Hough, sent a thank you note via email for MV’s donation.

Discussed the upcoming HAGCSA fund raiser scheduled for August 19th. Determined that MV would not be sending a team this year.

Wee One annual golf tournament is scheduled for September 16th in Wisconsin.

Scholarship fund dispersal for 2019 is complete. A total of (6) Legacy scholarships were awarded

The Hospitality night at the GIS in Orlando is all set for Wednesday night from 6-9 PM at Game Changers in Orlando. Deposit of $500 has secured our event.

Discussed the Youth On Course program headed up by MAGA. Board agreed to donate $100 to the “Hundred Hole Hike” to MAGA for this program. Chuck to send check.

Assistant Liaisons [Adam Lewis/Nick Hittler]

No report

Affiliate Liaisons [Doug Harskamp/Eric Parker]

No report

HISTORICAL COMMITTEE [Jim Buford/Tim Roethler]

Jim gave a brief synopsis on the direction of the 75th anniversary book currently being formulated. Jim will setup meeting with the GCSAA in regards to our 75th. Rhett stated that he would follow up with Diane at GCSAA to assist with our anniversary plans.

EQUIPMENT TECH LIAISON [Steve Wright]

Mike Null reported that Erik Parker made an excellent presentation in regards to mower reel maintenance and sharpening at the recent ET seminar at Norwood Hills. His presentation is viewable on the GCSAA website.

OLD BUSINESS:

Discussed upcoming Green Cup and volunteer spots to be filled. Will fill out volunteer sheet at next BOD meeting in Sept. Shave kit bag approved for tee prize at Green Cup this year.

NEW BUSINESS:

No report

Special discussion with Rhett Evans from GCSAA.

NEXT BOD MEETING – Sept 11th            Host – Carter DeMay         Venue – Llywelyn’s St Pete

MOTION TO ADJOURN          Motion by                                        Second by
Mike Null                                       Dave Pini         


MVGCSA Board Addendum to August 14, 2019 meeting minutes:

 

Rhett Evans from GCSAA visited with our Board during the August 14, 2019 meeting to discuss several issues facing our association and our industry. Below are three bullet points submitted in written form to our National Board earlier in the year which the Board further voiced concern for.

  1. The lack of interaction and by extension support the GCSAA displayed during the 100th PGA Championship held within our Chapters region in 2018.
  2. Concerted effort by key GCSAA Board members to push the MVGCSA to nominate specific candidates for the 2019 GCSAA Board of Directors.
  3. Slanderous comments directed towards a long-time GCSAA and MVGCSA member made during “The Do’s and Don’ts of Green Construction”, a GCSAA sanctioned educational event held at this year’s GIS in San Diego.

Rhett listened to our points and apologized for any issue we may have had. GCSAA has protocol in place in an effort to keep points 2 and 3 from happening however Rhett expressed the difficulty in real time when individuals go “rogue”. Admittedly, he felt the ball was dropped when National Board members were in town for the PGA but also expressed the difficulty in gathering many moving parts in unison during such events.

Ultimately, we voiced our concerns over items we felt it necessary to discuss with the National. Whether or not these impact the future of our association is up to the GCSAA’s Board members.