BMM – August 2021

MVGCSA

Board of Directors Meeting

Minutes – August 18, 2021

 

Khris Rickman                         Rob Kick                                              Chris Finnerty (A)

John Briggs                                          Dave Pini (A)                                       Jimmy Bucher

Austin Allen                                        Jeff Stickford (A)                                  Carter DeMay (A)

Rich Carlson                                        Adam Lewis (A)                                   Eric Bickel

Rob Schaff (A)                                     Tim Doll – Website (A)                        Chuck Gast – DO

Roethler (A) Buford (A) – Hist

 

 

President’s Report   [Khris Rickman]

No report

 

 

Approval of Minutes from     7/21/21                      Motion by:                              Seconded by:

Rob Kick                                  Jimmy Bucher

 

 

Treasurer’s Report   [Chris Finnerty] 

Current balance reported at US Bank:  $95,016.18

Currently expenses and income are in line. A little ahead on dues and donations. Topgolf final payment is still pending.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Education [John Briggs/Dave Pini/Jimmy Bucher]

JB gave an attaboy to Eric and Chuck for work on ET meeting and Topgolf event.

Next MV event is the MV Champ at St. Peters Golf Club Sept13. Gross and net Champs to be crowned. A scramble event will also be offered for those not wishing to compete in the stroke play event. Expecting 50 or so players. Shotgun at 10:00 AM. Entry fee at $60 with green fee around $25 per player. Pay 1st, 2nd and 3rd gross and net. MV to bring drinks and food. Sponsors are Keeven Bros and Turfwerks at $650 each.

Discussion about upcoming Shop Tour. This meeting will likely occur in January of 2022. Work underway with Dan Lloyd and MoGIC committee to establish a survey of topics to be covered for both events. Membership to be sent survey for feedback.

Research [Rob Kick/Rich Carlson]

There were 4 scholarship applications for 2021. One application was received past the deadline and was incomplete. All Legacy, no Turf applications received. Committee recommended accepting 3 applicants to receive a $500 scholarship. Those receiving scholarships for 2021 are; Charles Galentine, Anne Morgan, and Nathan Brown. Chuck to send scholarship awards to respective universities.

Committee recommended establishing a standardized scholarship award level for all scholarships. Board tabled for now.

Rob discussed that Bayer (BBQ) will be OUT for the upcoming event at Norwood Hills (Ascension Classic) but is still on hold for the 2021 Green Cup. Rob is working on a contingency plan for food for the Green Cup should Bayer have to opt out. No word yet if Grey Eagle will be involved with Green Cup.

Membership [Adam Lewis/Carter DeMay]

TJ McKenna – application for membership was approved!

Membership Outreach and Ethics & By-Laws [Schaff/Finnerty/Stickford/Carlson]

No report

Director of Operations [Chuck Gast]

Discussed upcoming Ascension Classic event at Norwood Hills. Board previously approved spending up to $2,000 to host Hospitality night for volunteers on Tuesday night Sept 7th from 4-7 PM. Chuck to check with Syberg’s or the like to cater the food for the evening. All MV members will be invited to attend.

 

Discussed recent event at Topgolf. Had approx. 70 sign up for this event. Had over 20 no-shows night of the event. Resulted in extra expense (24 @ $48) with less people in attendance. Discussed ideas of how to limit people from signing up ahead of time and then not show up. Tabled for now. One idea going forward for future Topgolf events was to emphasize this event to be for adults only as a “couples night out” setting.

Assistant Liaisons [Jeff Stickford/Austin Allen]

Assistant’s roundtable may be scheduled for some time in late October or early November.

Affiliate Liaisons [Rich Carlson/Eric Bickel]

Eric reported the recent ET meeting went quite well with over 20 in attendance – (2) AF and (18) ET’s. Eric to compile a list attendees and give to Chuck.

Eric working on possible list of topics to survey with ET’s for future meetings. Eric also working on unifying the ET database to assist in efficiently reaching all interested ET’s for future meetings.

HISTORICAL COMMITTEE [Jim Buford/Tim Roethler]

Rob Kick reported that the 75th Anniversary book final review is complete and ready for print. Rich Carlson stated that it would be good to get another hard copy of the book to review before placing the initial large order. Khris Rickman stated that he would get in contact with Tim Roethler to discuss this and other questions such as how long it will take to print our initial order and exactly how many books do we want to order this first time. Currently there have been 61 books pre-ordered and paid.

EQUIPMENT TECH LIAISON [   ]

JB has had no response from James Arnold about heading up the ET program. Eric will assist with trying to find an ET to head up this position.

OLD BUSINESS:

Green Cup discussion – St. Albans to charge $85 per person for golf and food. Discussed possibility of getting the CMAA involved with sponsorship and or assistance.

Trip to State Tech is set for Sept 23rd. Chris Finnerty is heading this up. Looking for 4-8 people to make the trip with him. Day will include meeting the faculty and touring the facility with possible golf as well. Need to finalize at the Sept BOD meeting.

The 2021 Roger Null event is doubtful for this year per Curt Rohe.

NEW BUSINESS:

Discussion that Dr. Lee Miller is scheduled to leave Mizzou January 1st of 2022. He will be heading to Purdue to assist in the turf program there. Turf program at Mizzou??

GCSAA now searching to hire Central Region field staff representative. Salary range $70-80,000 with benefits.

NEXT BOD MEETING – September 15, 2021 at Syberg’s Westport

 

MOTION TO ADJOURN           Motion by                Second by
Rob Kick                    John Briggs