Golf Course Superintendent (immediate opening available)
Joachim Golf Club
9 – hole semiprivate golf course located at 959 Scenic Dr. in Herculaneum, Missouri. Established in 1934
as member owned private club and was incorporated in 1940. Mission of Joachim Golf Club is to provide its membership and the public a premier historical local golf experience in a family-friendly environment.
Reports to: Joachim Golf Club Board
Supervises: Golf Course Maintenance; Pesticides Applications; Irrigation System; Equipment Operators;
Education and/or Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy, Horticulture or Plant Science.
· An Associates degree from an intensive two-year turf grass management program.
· Additional training in mechanics, design, surveying and ecology.
· Previous work as an assistant to an experienced Golf Course Superintendent.
· Previous supervisory experience in a club or golf course setting.
Job Knowledge, Core Competencies and Expectations:
· Understand the rules of golf and be up-to-date on federal, state and local laws on golf course operations.
· Administrative and executive ability, especially critical in problem-solving and decision making.
· Knowledge of ability to perform required role in emergency situations.
Job Summary (Essential Functions):
· Manage and maintain golf course properties including golf course, clubhouse grounds and
landscaping, open spaces and the equipment used to maintain these areas.
· Maintains all grounds and course maintenance equipment according to the club’s turf management
· Schedules, trains, supervises and evaluates all personnel assigned to department.
· Maintains accurate work records for all personnel in the department.
· Supervises all planting, fertilizing, care and removal of turf, plants, shrubs, trees and other facilities on
the golf course.
· Maintains course in proper playing condition.
· Inspects course regularly to evaluate and recommend improvements.
· Oversees all construction, maintenance and renovations on the golf course.
· Oversees repairs of broken water lines or valves and may perform necessary repairs in an emergency.
· Records all maintenance on course.
· Supervises operation of the Equipment Repair Shop.
· Prepares annual budget for department; takes corrective action as necessary to help assure that budget
goals are met.
· Prepares and revises grounds manual.
· Establishes short- and long-range plans for the golf course.
· Selects and prepares proper fertilizers and nutrients for all flora and fauna.
· Develops and maintains drainage, irrigation and watering systems.
· Implements and enforces comprehensive safety program for employees, members, and guests on course
in compliance with local, state and federal laws; implements and manages the club’s hazard
communication (HAZCOM) program.
· Ensures that chemicals, petroleum and other controlled products are used, stored and disposed of in
accordance with local, state and federal regulations; maintains required records and strives to minimize
the use of chemicals and petroleum products. Communicates as necessary with Joachim Golf Club Board
to discuss conditions of facilities, maintenance plans, scheduled events and the number of rounds played.
· Communicates as necessary with Grounds, Golf or House committees or other applicable committees.
· Attends Board meetings.
· Keeps members informed about current and future maintenance activities.
· Conducts daily facility security checks ensuring accurate inventory of equipment and keys.
· Plans professional development and training activities for subordinates including safety training for
equipment use and proper handling of fertilizers, herbicides, and all other chemicals used on course;
assures that MSDSs are available in convenient location.
· Makes recommendations for capital improvement and purchases.
· Supervises road and roadside maintenance within the club’s grounds.
· Ensures proper landscaping for property outside of golf course including the clubhouse and surrounding
· Coordinates applicable work with outside contractors.
· Determines when course should be closed due to weather conditions that may damage the course if play
· Conducts other appropriate tasks assigned by the Board. Licenses and Special Requirements
· Member of the GCSAA
· Pesticide Application certification.
· Valid driver’s license.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
· Regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions.
· Frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
· Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; extreme cold; extreme
heat; risk of electrical shock; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
· Able to meet and perform the physical requirements and to work effectively in an environment which is
typical of this position.
· Frequent lifting, bending, climbing, stooping and pulling.
This position has a base salary range starting in the $40,000-$50,000 range based upon experience and
qualifications. An attractive benefits plan is available to the qualified, successful candidate.
PLEASE SEND ALL RESUMES TO:
Kevin Ogden, Board President
Joachim Golf Club, 959 Scenic Dr., Herculaneum, MO 63048
phone – 636-226-5327